Emaciated cattle with Johne's disease
How does the disease transmit?
- Dam to fetus through placenta
How soon an animal get infected?
- Healthy newborns born to a contaminated environment get infected within 30 days of birth from contaminated colostrum, milk, water, food, etc.
|Emaciated goat suffereing from Johne's disease|
When does the infected animal show disease symptoms?
- This disease has a long incubation period showing clinical symptoms after two years of age and beyond
How do you protect your herd?
- Buy animals only from sources with ‘Johne’s disease free’ status
- Unknown history does not mean no disease